Brisbane Astronomical Society
COVID-19 Update. We have every expectation that our 2022 monthly meetings and member’s telescope evenings will be conducted as normal throughout the year. We look forward to bringing our members together, and welcoming new members, to meetings at our new Coorparoo School of Arts Memorial Hall venue – 210 Cavendish Road, Coorparoo.
Members-only telescope evenings conducted at Maleny Observatory and Gratton Field (west of Rosewood), are also expected to be conducted as normal. See the Calendar of BAS Member Events on this website for specific details. The BAS Facebook Page will also provide updates on these events.
Public events. Since public attendance numbers are our monthly public night at Maleny Golf Club tend to be a managable size for COVID-19 control, we plan to conduct these events as normal. (Please see our public events calendar.) By mid-2022 we plan on conducting our very popular public Mt Coot-tha and School Night programs.
2022 Queensland Astrofest. This fantasic 10-days of astronomy will be conducted at Camp Duckadang from Friday July 22 to Sunday July 31. Additional details are available on the Queensland Astrofest website: https://www.qldastrofest.org.au/
The Mission of Brisbane Astronomical Society is to create a friendly and mutually supportive community through sharing the wonders of the night sky.
Our activities include:
– To have regular information meetings.
– To have regular club stargazing meetings.
– To have regular public stargazing meetings.
– To educate school and community groups.
– To help others progress from interested individuals, to capable and knowledgeable astronomers.
– To assist with the creation of observing sites.
– To increase awareness and action around light pollution.
The Australasian Dark Sky Alliance (ADSA) is an independent non-profit organisation formed to:
– reduce the impact of light pollution on our nights skies, natural environment and human population
– educate the public and policymakers about night sky conservation
– promote environmentally responsible outdoor lighting
– assist in the designation of IDA Dark-Sky Places
– create dark-sky business opportunities
– celebrate our night sky heritage.